Here’s the short answer: the ringing you hear in your ear after you attend a concert or sit in a loud restaurant is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is caused by loud noises damaging or roughly vibrating...
Here’s the short answer: the ringing you hear in your ear after you attend a concert or sit in a loud restaurant is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is caused by loud noises damaging or roughly vibrating the tiny hairs in your ear canal.
But there’s a bit more to it. Did you know that according to healthline.com, damage to your hearing can occur when you listen to anything over 85 decibels? To compare, concerts can be around 115 decibels or more, depending on how close you are to the speakers. After living it up at a rock concert, the tinnitus you may experience will most likely resolve itself within a couple of days. However, if you’re experiencing tinnitus for longer periods, especially without exposure to loud noises, go see a doctor. That could be a sign of hearing loss.
There are a few things you can do to try and relieve the symptoms of tinnitus as found in this article. It’s worth noting, however, that there is no known cure for tinnitus.
- Turn on white noise. If you don’t have a white noise machine, you can easily access white noise through apps on your smartphone. The white noise will help conceal the ringing in your ears; plus, it’s soothing and may help you sleep. Bonus!
- Distract with other soft noises. Turn on your favorite podcast on low. Listen to some calming music. Getting your mind off the ringing and onto something entertaining may help the frustration that comes with tinnitus.
- Meditate or practice mindfulness. Focusing your energy on something healing might help you feel more relaxed and calmer. De-stressing is important to remember when trying to relieve irritation of any kind.
- Wear earplugs. This may not help quiet the ringing, but it will help other loud sounds from piercing your ears, resulting in louder tinnitus.
- Avoid alcohol. When you drink, blood flows into your inner ear and enhances the ringing.
So, there you have it. That annoying ringing in your ear is called tinnitus, and it can be very aggravating. Despite there not being a proven effective treatment that cures tinnitus, hopefully, these suggestions are helpful.