We need our earwax to protect our ears, but how should we handle having too much of a good thing?
Here's a hint: Not by digging fingers into our ears!
First things first, why is earwax important to us?
Earwax accomplishes 3 BIG things:
- Lubrication: Earwax is a mixture of sweat, skin cells, and hair particles. It coats the inside of your ear and prevents the canal from getting dry and itchy!
- Protection: The wax that your body produces helps prevent harmful bacteria from growing inside your sensitive ears, as well as protects it from dirt and water.
- Cleaning: Chewing and talking actually helps your earwax work its way out of the ear! Did you hear that? Your earwax works its way out of your ear by itself. I said once, I'm going to say it again--don't use your fingers or cotton swabs!
Though your ear does produce, use, and discard its wax, sometimes we simply produce more than needed.
Earwax buildup often becomes more frequent as individuals age, due to earwax glands (ceruminous glands) shrinking. As they shrink the earwax too dries out. Furthermore, dead skin particles build up continuously, and the ear’s ability to lubricate and clean itself is less effective.
Buildup can also occur from regular earbuds use, hearing aids, fingers, and other foreign objects being shoved into your ears. These bacteria-coated, blunt-tipped objects push your naturally occurring wax deeper into your ear canal which can lead to a buildup of earwax.
Another common misconception is the belief that a small amount of olive oil can effectively dislodge the wax from the ear canal. Though olive oil may seem like a simple at-home treatment, it is just as ineffective as it is messy. Click here to read more.
To ensure that all excess wax is removed from even the worst buildups, EarwaxMD is a great treatment option that a sufferer can use.
Step by Step guide to using Earwax MD:
- 1: Lie down on your side in a comfortable position. Be sure your ear is parallel to the surface so that nothing drips out of your ear. Place a towel on your shoulder just in case anything drips.
- 2: Take the bottle of Earwax MD and fill the dropper with a product.
- 3: With your head tilted to the side, slowly fill the ear canal with Earwax MD, one drop at a time. All ear canals are shaped differently, so the number of drops required to fill the ear canal will vary. Once your ear canal feels full, you are finished with the drops.
- 4: Set a timer for 15 minutes and wait.
5: After 15 minutes, it’s time to rinse your ear. There are several ways to rinse your ear:
- Fill the purple bulb with warm water and lean your head over a bowl or bathroom sink to flush the ear canal. You may need to rinse 10 or more times to get the ear clean.
- Stand under the shower head with your head tilted to let warm water stream into the ear canal and flush out the wax.
- Note: You may see cloudy water, or wax coming out in chunks. This means it’s working!
- 6: Repeat steps 1-5 on the other ear!
After using Earwax MD, you will notice your ear feels more clean and clear! As a bonus, you might even be able to hear better once your ears are clear of wax.
Eosera is happy to announce our ear care line, Everything Ear Care!
Our products are available online on Amazon, in CVS stores nationwide and select Target stores.