Happy Earth Day!
Here are 10 small, easy ways you might not have thought of that could help save the Earth (according to 50waystohelp.com). Go green today!
- Don’t pre-rinse your dishes before you put them in your dishwasher. This saves a whopping 20 gallons of water per load!
- Try meat-free Mondays! You don’t have to give it up for good, but choosing one day a week where you eat a veggie-based meal is good for the environment and your health.
- Only take what you need. Don’t take a bunch of napkins at restaurants or at home only to throw them away unused. If everyone in America took one less napkin a day, it could save a billion pounds of space in landfills. Whoa!
- Use the whole sheet. When you jot down a note on a piece of paper, save the page for future notes. American businesses use 21 tons of paper every year. If we consolidated, we could save a few trees. Remember to recycle!
- Turn off the tap when brushing those pearly whites. This could save 5 gallons of water per day. If everyone did this across the U.S., we could save 1.5 billion gallons a day!
- Cruise to a better environment. Use cruise control or your car’s eco boost when driving and you could save 15% on mileage. That adds up when everyone does it! (Plus, it will save you money.)
- Invest in a travel mug. Do you get coffee to go most days? Try using a travel mug. It keeps things cold or hot longer than plastic and it’s better for the environment.
- Recycle your cell phone. Did you know that 130 million cell phones are thrown into landfills each year? Try using a cell phone recycling program.
- Go paperless. Cancel your paper bank and credit card statements. Not only does this save paper, but some banks will give perks to those who opt out of paper bills.
- Use non-chemical de-icers. In colder climates, it’s common to use chemical de-icers or salt-based de-icers on the ground. This method contains harmful chemicals that are dangerous for pets and the environment.